Immigration - 1952


England Immigration Family Friends Australia

Boyd Family

Mason Family

1952 - The Year

Immigration 1952



Britains Killed in Cairo Riots 1952


Port Phillip Bay, Victoria


Migrant Hostel

Immigration - Evelyn Mason

Click here to see a list of people & pages on this web site.

Stopovers: - Click here

Port Said in Egypt. Port Aden in Yemen.  Colombo in Ceylon now known as Sri Lanka.  Fremantle in Western Australia, Port Phillip Bay in Melbourne Victoria
The migration scheme started in March, 1947.
Known as 10-pound Poms (or 10-pound tourists, or 10-pound Brits), these were the British citizens who immigrated to Australia in the fifties and sixties under an assisted passage scheme, which cost 10-pounds for adults. Those under 18 were free.
After World War II, many ships that had carried soldiers were converted to meet the urgent need for the transportation of migrants. Passenger comforts on these 'troop ships' were extremely limited. Large empty holds were fitted out with double or triple tiered bunks. The food was plain and sometimes inadequate. Many European migrants were not used to the English fare that they were given to eat, and missed their traditional spiced foods. Similar food was provided in the hostels and reception camps when they arrived in Australia.
Dad: "Bill had been thinking about going to Australia for a while.
"Our friend Kenny Cooper said that they would have to build a bridge for him to come to Australia."

Reasons for Immigrating?

Click here

Dad: "Two blokes came back to Birkenhead and said that Australia was good. They had been in Sydney for two years. They went back to their old jobs as Boiler Makers. they blamed their wives for their return. The wives didn't like living in the hostels.  It was the women who kicked up a stink in Bradfield Park."
"I didn't know how long we would stay. I left the time open.
Millie and Bob Parkinson came with us. We met Kit and Bob Ferris on the ship."

"Many of the women were reluctant to emigrate. If families returned to UK it was usually because  the women wanted to go "home". Life was more difficult in Australia than they had been led to believe."

I could never understand how my mother left her family in UK. It was so unlike her. She said she did it because it would only be for two years. Migrants needed to stay for 2 years. (See below)
 I still have the many boxes of letters she received from "home". There were many sent back.

"Assisted migrants were generally obliged to remain in Australia for two years after arrival, or alternatively refund the cost of their assisted passage. If they chose to travel back to Britain, the cost of the journey was at least £120, a large sum in those days and one that most could not afford. It was also possible for many British persons to migrate to Australia on a non-assisted basis before the early 1970s, although most travelled as Ten Pounders. This was part of the wider White Australia Policy. A quarter of British migrants chose to return to the UK but half of these—the so-called 'Boomerang Poms'—returned to Australia]"

Departed from Tilbury Dock on 10th January, 1952.
under the Assisted Passengers Migrant Scheme
S.S.Ormonde - Includes photos taken on board

Click here to see passenger list for our family. (Many thanks to Steve Jones)

"BOYD Robert Mcgee born 24 January 1918; Gladys (nee Mason) born 6 June 1918; Robert born 5 January 1941; Gladys born 6 May 1943; Irene born 23 August 1947; travelled per ORMONDE departing UK on 10 January 1952 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme"

Above information taken from the web site below

"We bought a camera before we left UK . Mum & Dad, with Bob, Glad & Irene (Me) left  England 10.1.1952. We departed from Tilbury Dock, London."

The trip took about 6 weeks. There were stopovers in Port Said. Port Aden, Ceylon, Fremantle, Port Phillip Bay, Victoria then to Circular Quay in Sydney.
Cairo - There were many problems taking English families through Egypt at this time.
Overcrowding was a common complaint. Everyone, including families, which were split up, was accommodated in men's and women's quarters.
1952 - On the trip to Australia Mum was placed in a cabin with Kit Ferris and Dad was with her husband, Bob. They became close friends but Mum and Dad never saw them again. Mum kept  wrote letters to them until her death in 2002. On the trip they went to Yallourn with Mum and dad to visit Muriel and Bill.  They went back to UK. Not sure when.
Click here to see photos aboard the ship, S. S. Ormonde
Port Said     Photo taken from the following web site.

Fremantle: Click here to read dad's account of how we nearly missed the ship as it pulled out from Fremantle Harbour
Melbourne:   Port Phillip Bay
There was a 3 day stopover in Melbourne. We visited Muriel, Bill & Susan at Newborough. Bill was working on the power station in Yallourn.

Arrived in Sydney: February 2nd, 1952

After leaving the ship, everyone was taken to Central station where they were put on a train to Bathurst.
This was late at night and all the kids were tired (and probably grumpy!)

From Bathurst, NSW (ex air force centre used for a migrant distribution centre) some people, such as, Millie & Bob Parkinson  were sent back to Victoria.

Photo opposite: (Not sure where this is!)

Dad, Mum. Millie Parkinson, Bob Parkinson, Kit Ferris with her daughter.
Bob Boyd in front

"Mum was wearing Kitty's bra as a swimming costume. The water was warm. It was the only way you could get Mum into the water. Mum stood on my shoulders and dived into the water", Dad.

"Could Mum dive?"


PS Mum couldn't swim!!!

  Arrival in Sydney Click here